happy trails, or, the good shit.

Missed the 0934 to Den Haag HS from Brussel Midi. Sat an hour in crazy station as a result. The one to Amsterdam from Den Haag was fairly easy to catch the next day, so no events there. Mibi measured time and distance to Amsterdam Centraal from the canal we dangled our feet over, minutely, so no chance of missing the one back. Slept in today and took a long time cooking, so that we hurriedly put me on a train pulling out of Den Haag at the correct time. In true cinematic style, after the tearful goodbyes, she came running after the wheezing train and said with great import - Bose! wrong train.... Excellent, I thought. Some panic later, I calculated thqat if i get to Rotterdam Centraal, luckily on my train's way, by 17.15, I can catch the train I'm supposed to be on at 17.25. Got there, but the train was delayed by 40 minutes. The eurostar in Brussels wouldn't wait for me - had to get there 2000ish. So called eurostar, cursed, stood in dutch lines where completely unhelpful information givers.. um, didn't. My phone battery was dying out, of course, too add spice to the scene. Then inspiration struck on the platform - a fast 'Thalys' train to Paris via Brussels was pulling in. Me and my sweet helpless girl expression (Mibi would add, my mammaries) went to work with gusto. The dude in charge was convinced that I should be let on the train even though my eurostar extended ticket wasn't valid on it, that I could pay by cash in pounds (due to last week's events I have no plastic money, and due to a hedonistic dutch weekend this time, I have no euro left) even though Thalys doesn't trade in that currency, and that I would get a very nice window seat. Everyone around basically went into protect-her mode. Lovely. I am unashamed, since I got to Brussels in time, caught my 20.28 to London Waterloo, and am stealing a few minutes of internet time before I am obliged to go to bed and start a new workday.
Now that readers are well and truly irritated by all the trains - i gotta say it was the best 3 day holiday ever. It was exactly what was needed, and strangely, exactly what I expected. There's much to describe, and there are pictures. Coming soon - wolves on the beach, hare rama in dam square, pancakes 'n' pretty boys, the Prince, and the world's cheeriest kitchen. Mibi meri jaan, thankoo!

Comments

Anonymous said…
i was wondering what you traded for a seat on the train, given that you had no money. ze last piece of puzzle falls into place.

- the good host.
Anonymous said…
Sometimes I wonder how so many crazy things happen to you. And at other times I wonder,knowing you, how only these many crazy things happen to you

Popular Posts