nanhi munni rahi hoon

On my walk to work every morning, I take advantage of an old lady. She’s this sweet old thing whose job it is to help school going kiddies to cross a certain busy road. She is very professional about it, dressed in standard fluorescent green traffic gear and a reflector on her hat. She has a biggish sign to stop traffic as she parades the kiddies across the pedestrian crossing, very authoritatively; ready to blow a whistle even, at errant car drivers. Well, for the last few days, I have been timing my daily walk such that I catch her with her charges on my side of the road and quietly slip into the back of the marching line. Voila, the treacherous traffic is negotiated, and I am a few yards closer to my daily grind. This morning I happened to be the only person waiting to cross. My sweet old lady, though she must have been on a break, took pity on me, and led me across the road, armed with her ‘children crossing’ sign and all.
It’s nice to have grown ups take care of you sometimes :-)

Comments

Ink Spill said…
Aww.
Remember the lady for the City Of London School kids near the Millennium Bridge? She had a sign saying "Stop Kids"...my sentiments exactly!

Popular Posts