neutrons

Blogging is therapeutic they say. I dunno. Walking works for me. It’s a whole new level of independence, you see. London is a walking city. And by the grace of God, Mom, Dad and various other influences I won’t mention here, I live in a place that lets me meander. If I just let them, my feet take me anywhere. Far north, almost to Angel, west till Big Ben, east till the Last Homely House West of the Sea. That’s a glorified term for Norman Foster’s City Hall, monikered thus because it nestles against tower bridge. Beyond London’s east most bridge, I haven’t ventured, not yet. I have great faith in the river. Don’t like to stray too far from its banks. Completely irrational, I agree, since many places far from the riverside are much closer to my little room than Vauxhall or the Tower. Maybe it’s a lesson in city design, the way they’ve connected the various river side locations? Seems like one big carnival, upriver and down. Christmas lights, every night. No need to do a personal Diwali, the mayor of LondON is three jumps ahead.
Doesn’t it get old sometimes? The blue and white fairy lights, rain or shine, blustery wind or pleasant breeze (haven’t had a windless day so far and it’s been 5 weeks). Almost like a toxic wasteland on display… huge amounts of energy, for our viewing pleasure, lest we may feel uncelebrated one night. Isaac Asimov wrote a piece on toxic displays. Earth, in this particular installment of sci-fi, had been destroyed by WW3. Huge patches of land were radioactive (including all of North America and other developed countries… cities of the ‘north’ as they are fashionably called in urbanist lingo). So earth wasn’t much of a jewel in the solar system anymore. At least, not in the daytime. On the ‘night side’, however, it was a tourist attraction. Travellers from all over the Milky Way would pay lots for a ride around the earth to catch the iridescent blue seas of radioactivity.

Comments

Popular Posts