Holiday: the bad part

another live airport-written post
Belligerent sun beats down on a head of black hair, making the brain bubble inside skull. Blood boils, pulse throbs, nerves stretch. Boiling blood courses through to the stomach, where essential digestive enzymes melt before they can act on food; and the intestines heave futilely.
Ugh. That was 1st of January, 2008. I'm on my way back to London, having narrowly escaped heat stroke. Am back, now, in afore-mentioned prison airport. This time around I have a co-inmate, and our chatter makes time go by easier. It keeps the stresses of going back to work (directly after a 26 hour journey) at bay a while longer.

Africa this time has been strange. Nerves haven't relaxed, mind hasn't cleared. I haven't managed to take that deep healing breath I was counting on. Financially, it has been a very expensive disappointment. Technically though, an alcohol-coffee detox has happened from necessity, due indeed to all the loosies. I'm about to drink my first coffee in two weeks now. Perhaps my fingers will fall off.*
London coming.

*Well, fingers didn't fall off, and the abstained-from caffeine shot felt GOOD. Good thing too, as I have to last the next 36 hours on caffeine and gumption!

Comments

Popular Posts