Goodbye 2007

A nice sounding number, two thousand and seven. A sleek number, with an edge, hinting at all sorts of possibilities. 2008 by contrast seems to me to have the dull thud of finality. This could be very superficial and moody of me of course.
in 2007, then -
J K Rowling published her last Potter, and I stood in line at midnight on a cold soho street to be among the first hundreds buying it.
I got a job that has kept me interested for 6 months and still running. I also got a great boss, who cancels out my all my previous very bad boss-luck. The job is challenging, and sometimes feels like the perfect one for me, with my particular temperament, being a funny mixture of fieldwork and deskwork, stage skills and writing skills. These illusions of perfection happen only sometimes, mind.
The office has a central london location, which completely takes my fancy, obviously, but also sometimes constrains my wanderings to a few postcodes, even though I was once accustomed to roam, unfettered by postcoding, all over the city.
I moved into the flat, not of my dreams, but which has plenty of potential as a source of joy and an inspiration for imagination.
I also took the flat's virginity (under it's present owner), thereby initiating myself into the mysteries of casual sex; hoping to go strong in the same vein for awhile. hoo boy...
I made some friends. I kept some friends. I lost some friends.
I started my first novel and then shelved it within a week.
As convenience levels increase in my daily life, I struggle against routines, while accepting that in some ways I am going astray, and i need to Stop And Get It All In Order. The prospect of doing a PhD has tucked itself into a far far corner of my mind, anyhow.
All sorts of things happened in the world outside of my head too. I would advise the gentle reader to look for these elsewhere.
Goodbye 2007. Thanks for being the Most Interesting Times.

Comments

Popular Posts