Evenings are exciting

They offer possibilities. I associate them with the freshly showered and powdered smells of Durga Puja and Diwali in Delhi’s most sheltered government ‘colony’. Golden lamplights on metal trays, fried goodies, new clothes and autumnal flowers. Everything is pure, virginal and glowing with a million chances.
And yet I also associate evenings with youthful debauchery in London (at the core of the core of the core). Headily I slid sideways into a different culture, and was accepted with either amusement or indifference, I don’t know which. Anything could happen, many things did., usually at Christmas parties.
So many things signal this exciting evening-ness to me – mice pies, messages on facebook about Diwali, a pretty dress in a shop window. I’m not sure if this is a feeling that needs fulfilment. is it enough to tingle, or does one evening in a score of evenings (at least) have to deliver something awesome, for the delicious anticipation to endure?
I’ve had a lot of awesome evenings lately, but they’re different. They’re peaceful and glowy, more akin to the evenings of my childhood, with safety and contentment as headliners. Is it even possible to have evenings with zzzing after a certain stage in life? When some important things are a given (e.g. will I have sex tonight, does he love me, is the bar still open) what does excitement consist of?
Open question… (don’t say ‘having kids!’ or ‘buying a house’.. well maybe buying a house.. hmm.)

Comments

Tara said…
:)
I found that replacing the question mark with an exclamation point after Y.e.s. was just as exciting - perhaps more.
You can go from eh? to heeee!!

Popular Posts