London in the blue night

... is the title of the illustration that my new header image is cropped from. The artist sells his wares to (unwary) tourists in Covent Garden. But this is no scam. His various visions of London are an urban studies student's dream. Bird's eye views mostly, he picks a layer of the city to highlight in each caricature-like interpretation. This one picks up the suffusion of blueness in London's sky in summer and sometimes autumn [bridges are downplayed, notice, and all the same]. In another he makes the theatres garishly oversized and multicoloured, rising up out of the brown morass of the rest of the buildings; in another he pays tribute to the bridges, sketching each in loving and true detail. The 5th, and my second favourite after blue nights, is a strange perspective on the City of London, seen as if from a ship coming into central through Tower Bridge. With good use of artistic license, Chris Rogers (the artist.. I think that's his name) stacks up the different facades of 80s and 90s Square Mile buildings (the Gherkin is strangely absent) and crowds them up against the riverfront, framing the whole urban mass with the half open Tower drawbridge. Finding this guy has given me some good Christmas present ideas.
I'm glad I came home today, even though it's Friday night. Glad there's a home to come to where I can curl up and lean against the column in the kink of my assymetric external wall, and wonder about tucking my feet into the 13 tog duvet neatly folded and resting on one side of the bed.

Comments

Zareen said…
ohmygod!!!! that's just stunning!! i saw a tiny picture of it on my rss and it caught my breath.
Ash said…
Too bright & cheery to love, no? I do like the perspectives though. Maybe I should visit first and then talk out of my assh.
wendigo said…
thanks zareen.. i thought it was a find.
yes ash, maybe you should :) Though it's true... it doesn't capture the gloomy mysterious blue haze of the picture (and the nights) properly on blogger.
wendigo said…
edit: it may have been a small matter of brightness / contrast.
Tara said…
Random question:
Is this masterful artist the 'Don't get out of bed for less than a million dollars' variety, or is he more my kind of guy? (Ten pounds, love)??
If you know, could you enlighten one?
One is going to be in Covent Garden before the fall is up (by some counts, it already is, but no matter, this is England: it'll come back). And one would really like to add this to one's wishlist.
wendigo said…
ten pounds love type. covent garden mein, in the covered shed on the right when you stand facing the transport museum entrance. one wishes one a good visit.
Tara said…
Fantastic. And thanks! :)

Popular Posts