like arthritis in old age

like arthritis in old age, you hurt me more in winter
ghostly, you rise from carefully interred ashes
mocking the sensible epitaphs i surround you with
smiling radiantly, just out of reach
calling to mind balmy Mediterranean winds
or cosy armchairs and beloved books

a snatch of remembered cheer courses through memory
making me frantically seek you in old emails, old blog posts, old pictures
a snatch of you, and hope, and daily joy
which would warm me like mulled wine on a cold December day
as the happiest year of my life

dies

[this is mostly fiction.]

Comments

Nice. I'd guess it's about the year or the city.

And what made you think of the DI/DII flats in Chanakya Puri?

J.A.P.
wendigo said…
grew up in a DI flat in chanakya puri. as my dad's left his government job and can't live there anymore, i've run away to London to find Empire again.

as for what the poem's about, hmm...good guess.

Popular Posts