bedroom noises

My bed is snagged on a sliver of solidity in a world that’s a raging, roaring hurricane. It howls, it beats, it drums. i can easier suffocate myself with my pillow than keep its sound out. I put on headphones, i stop the door, but the crazed threnody waits for the gaps in the song. The gale scratches at the crooning voice inside the music, impatient to get at my brain again. it doesn’t stop, it can’t, it has the pressure of the whole universe (76 of them?) coming through a small fissure in the world, directly attacking my sleepless rest.


There’s a weird aerodynamic condition in which air increases in velocity and therefore sound, when it passes through small orifices. Bernoulli?... anyway, my bedroom has no windows and 2 skylights with a total of 8 narrow vents. flatmate climbed up to loft and sealed 7 of these. So on a normal night my bedroom sounds like a pleasantly breezy perch. However London is now prone to gale force winds so last night was something out of where eagles dare. Don’t they say too much sound can drive you mad?

Comments

Anonymous said…
threnody??? wow... heavy hitting! :) i had to check up the dictionary TWICE! thank god that didn't come in my GRE verbal section! :)
Anonymous said…
I read on CNN that a tornado hit a London street yesterday ...
wendigo said…
heh, tornado and all. i dunno about CNN but i saw it on tabloid headlines and therefore immediately dismissed it. but yes, windy it has been.
Anonymous said…
And sometimes silence can drive you mad, making you move out west!
Anonymous said…
ooh... brill! lurvly prose, just lurvly. thanks for this treat after the longest time.

your shrink.
wendigo said…
@shrink: thanks for the compliment, but your comment has created waves of indignation amongst people who are my shrinks on a daily basis. they don't like unknown competition and think i'm cheating on them. who're you and when did i ever use your shrinkage?

Popular Posts