networking blows

So I ran out on what could have been an AMAZING networking opportunity today. Um... somehow I don’t think so. It was basically a room full of geologists, geotechnical engineers, mining engineers and me. And as soon as I opened my mouth to explain my role in the extractives phantasmagoria (yes) their eyes would glaze over. Sustainabili... social responsibi....impac.....zzzzzzz.
Most of the men were there because an attractive young marketing pro sent the invite. The young women (all fugly) were there because they’d heard that these ‘sundowners’ are they way to get ahead in the industry. everyone seemed really desperate. More than me. And this young hot marketing pro ‘knows everyone’.
As I ran out of there with a smile stuck on my face, the nice young marketing professional looked bemused. I think she was just about to introduce me to two more pillars of the mining industry. But i knew better, I knew they’d want to hear about our CPR capability, our exploration techniques and our Datamine subscription. And all I wanted to talk about was how adroitly one of our clients had plonked a great big mine in the middle of a Wadi that Bedouins had used as a migration route for centuries, how another client had let a little cyanide seep into the watercourse that all the famished villagers used for their cultivation water, and what methods I would use to engage with the artisanal miners of Angola. Utter content audience mismatch.
Sigh. This is going to be difficult.

Comments

Popular Posts