weekend in Kent

Kent is agricultural. Every time we passed through one of its towns, I would ask 'What's the economy based on?' and my friend Kiran would reply 'tourism, fishing and farming'. And occasionally, 'education'. Makes sense, Canterbury itself has about 5 colleges and universities. The rest of the Kent we saw consisted of gently rolling farmland ripe (?) with something golden, lush thickets and distant glimpses of the estuary and the sea. Distant until we came to Whitstable, where everywhere smells like a Jumbo Mussels platter, and a children's clothes shop is named 'Arsenic and Old Lace'. I don't know, maybe the propreitor just likes the play. No need to wonder why sweet old lady murderers should be linked to little blue booties and rainbow diapers. No really, I love Kent. I'll take a holiday there anytime, no problem.
Bear and I went with another married couple to stay with a third married couple in canterbury, who are expecting a baby. This was probably the most couply thing i've ever done, and man was it comfortable! PDA was a given, while no one judged each others' relationship styles. Also, much Wii was played and food eaten. This, apparently, is what married couples do on holiday. I don't mind it at all.
It was a very welcome break from the city, and the bear recovered fully from his traumatic work trip to Bangalore, where he'd had to stay up 3 nights in a row to do monkey work for mean bosses. As for me, I felt safe enough in couply wonderland to mentally dissociate my terror of commitophobes from my sweet darling husband.
On our way home from hammersmith station, we were discussing my friend's recent breakup, me abusing the guy and bear trying to say that maybe there were two sides to the story - when the said guy appeared through a people gap on the bus. He'd been there all along. We are neighbours, this has often happened before, but this time i actually froze. Bear said something cordial as we got off, but I drew a blank. Didn't help that soon afterwards, my friend made a distress call from her empty hotel room in Portugal. She still lives with the bastard so she tried to escape by going solo on a holiady she had planned for him. Turns out this is not a good idea.
So here we are on Monday, still 70% calm from the mini-break, loving our husband, not hating our job, and still resisting our annoying boss's annoyingness. Have a good week!

Comments

Popular Posts